Wednesday, November 28, 2007

HA HA


Each morning I enjoy reading the local paper with a nice hot cup of coffee. If I'm lucky I get to do this in a relatively quiet dining room, if I get up before Katie, who for some reason just can't seem to relate to my little indulgence.

The design of the Akron Beacon Journal is great...Section A is World and National news, B is Local, C is Sports and Business, and D is Entertainment. Which works great for me because I love reading the comics last. Sort of like saving the cherry from your ice cream sundae until the end. The Sunday paper of course is an exception, given all the ads and such. On that day its either the comics I read last, or the Best Buy circular depending on how I feel...but either way its still a treat!

I've had several "favorite" comics over the years, Bloom County(which morphed into Outland then Opus), Calvin and Hobbes, and Foxtrot. Crankshaft and Funky Winkerbean(by local artist Tom Batiuk(rhymes with attic)) have been must-reads for me also. Funky having drawn national attention recently for having one of its main characters die in the strip has been one of the few comics that show age progression of its characters instead of being "frozen" in time...I mean come on shouldn't PJ be out of that sleeper by now??

My current favorite strip is Get Fuzzy, which just works on so many levels for me. Its not for everyone, because admittedly the first few times I read it I didn't get it, but in keeping at it I found it to be well worth my time. A recent addition to the Beacon is Pearls Before Swine which is sort of a thought-out "Far Side" in my eyes and can be quite acerbic at times.

And in closing I offer up today's strip.

No comments: